Dear Mountainview Christian Church Member:
As an active member of our church, you have the privilege to nominate Elders. At our Annual Church Business Party, we will install two elders to serve a four-year term.
To serve as an Elder in scripture
“An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. Since an overseer is entrusted with God’s work, he must be blameless, not overbearing, not quick tempered, and not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. Rather he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, and who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.” Titus 1:6-9
At Mountainview Christian Church, we have outlined several responsibilities of an Elder. A few of these include:
1. Serving by being sensitive to the needs of others and responding to those needs.
2. Contributing to, supporting the vision of the church by prayer, and fasting.
3. Leading in honoring the Pastors by keeping confidences.
4. Being dependable and accountable to those placed in leadership of you.
5. Leading in commitment and accountability by being consistent and committed in living the Christian lifestyle with regular prayer and Bible study, being led and controlled by the Holy Spirit, being faithful in tithing, maintaining a solid family life, and actively participating in ministry.
The process of electing Elders at Mountainview Christian Church begins by receiving names for consideration from the membership. The Elder Nomination Team comprised of Elders and selected members of the church, prayerfully review the nominations, request completed assessments, and conduct interviews to insure that the individuals meet the qualifications for the position of Elder. A final list of names are forwarded to the Church Elder Team with their recommendations. The Church Elder Team, after prayerful consideration, will select which candidates will be added to the elder team. The men selected will be announced at our Annual church Business Party in January.
At this time, we would like to receive names for consideration. If you know of someone, whom you believe meets the scriptural qualifications for Elder, please fill out the Nomination form and return it to the church office. You can fill out the form on-line; fill out the pdf form and email it to [email protected]; or printing out the form and drop it at the church office or mail to 1890 NE Cleveland Ave, Gresham 97030. In addition, you will find enclosed the “Policy on Elder Team Members”, adopted by the church Elder Team. You can also access the form on our website, www.mvcclive.com to submit your nominations. All names must be received by Monday, November 2 by 4:00 pm. You may submit as many names as you like. Two new Elders will be installed from the list of those nominated. The Church Elder Team appreciates your thoughtful considerations and suggestions.
Team Leader/Elder Nomination Team
QUALITIES FOR ELDERS
As taken from 1 Timothy, Titus and 1 Peter
Quality Family Relationships:
· one wife (sexual purity)
· rules house well
· children in submission
· faithful children – not wild or rebellious
Qualities NOT to be found in an Elder:
· lording it over others
· quick tempered violent
· greedy for money
· given to wine
· seeking personal gain
· a new Christian
Qualities DESIREABLE in an Elder:
· serves willingly/serves eagerly
· sets a Godly example (literally, a stamp or die pressed by a blow to create an impression. An exemplar, a model or pattern after which something is made)
· sober minded (literally a sound mind – the internal thought life and habits of study)
· just (focus is on behavior – treats others well, has a good sense of fairness and justice)
· lover of what is good
· able to teach (holding fast the word, sound in doctrine, able to correct those who contradict)
· with a good report in the outside community
Mountainview Christian Church
Policy on Elder Team Members
Mountainview Christian Church has an abundance of qualified individuals who are capable of serving on the Elder Team; therefore, the following policies have been set in place.
These policies will be effective for any NEW Elders selected by the Elder selection that began in 2007. These policies will not be in effect for current elders or family members, but will be in effect in the event of re-selection.
Spouses should not be allowed to serve on the Elder Team and nomination team at the same time.
Family members, including parents, children or siblings, will not be allowed to serve on the Elder Team at the same time.
No person who is the spouse of a full or part-time employee at Mountainview Christian Church should be allowed to serve on the Elder Team as long as the spouse remains as an employee.
No person who is an employee of Mountainview Christian Church will be allowed to serve on the Elder Team while they remain as an employee of Mountainview Christian Church.
Siblings, spouses, parents, children, etc. cannot serve consecutive terms as members of the Elder Team. There must be at least a one-year separation between terms for those who are relatives.
Nominees for the office of Elder must be able to provide verifiable records of financial giving – tithing to Mountainview Christian Church.
Adopted by the Board of Elders
Mountainview Christian Church