As an active member of our church family, you have the privilege and responsibility to recommend candidates for the position of Elder. This is one of the key responsibilities of members that shape the future direction of Mountainview Christian Church.
Serving as an Elder is a very humbling position and not one to be taken lightly. The Bible explains the qualifications of an Elder in scripture as follows:
“Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer, he desires a noble task. Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to much wine, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect. (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?) He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil’s trap.”
1 Timothy 3:1-7
At Mountainview, Elders have several important responsibilities. Some important ones include:
- Setting a Godly example for the church by living according to New Testament teachings including: engaging in regular personal prayer and Bible study, being led and controlled by the Holy Spirit, being faithful in tithing, maintaining a solid family life, participating in ministry, and being a good ambassador for Christ.
- Working to ensure Mountainview has an effective means to promote the Gospel Message through its mission, vision and practices.
- Providing shepherding by visiting the sick, encouraging the distressed and praying with and for Mountainview members.
- Providing spiritual guidance and protection for the staff and congregation.
- Ensuring that all business matters of the church are conducted with integrity and wisdom through effective policies and practices.
- Administering effective oversight for all Mountainview activities and ministries.
The process of selecting Elders at Mountainview Christian Church begins by receiving names for consideration from the membership. Next, the Nomination Team, comprised of some Elders and selected members of the church, prayerfully reviews the recommendations, requests completed assessments and conducts interviews to ensure that the individuals meet the qualifications for the position of Elder. A final list of names is then forwarded to the Elders with their nominations. Finally, the Elders, after further prayerful consideration and interviews, select the candidates to be added to the Elder Team. The men selected will be presented and installed as new Elders in January, 2018.
At this time, we are receiving names for those to be considered as new Elders. If you know of someone whom you believe meets the scriptural qualifications for Elder and whom you think would be a capable leader for our church, then please contact them personally to see if they desire to be considered for this service. If they give consent then fill out and submit the “Recommendation for Elder” below.
All names must be received by Sunday, October 15th. You may submit as many names as you like. You may download the Elder Nomination form here, or submit the online form below. The Elders appreciate your prayerful thoughtful consideration and suggestions for Elder. Anonymous forms will not be considered.
Shawn Farrens, EdD, firstname.lastname@example.org
Elder Nomination Team
Tom Santillanes, email@example.com